About work 2

CWSA is also running an HIV & AIDS program, for what they are looking for some volunteers (actually only the volunteers run the main program). On Monday will be some interviews that will be held by me and the "volunteer in charge", Felicity. Next of next week we will start a two weeks' training for those volunteers, so that they can operate on their own and do not depend on us. I shall operate as trainer in this training as well (to do the first aid e.g.), although I'm actually more curious to be part of the training to learn something. We'll see...

Another program is that for kids affected by drugs. It is usually the task of our community developer Elton. But some other people came to introduce a new program, where Elton won't be participate (I think). There will be a weekend-camp for three days (30.04. - 01.04.), where the youth (30 - 50 kids in the age between 13 and 25) shall discover that life is much more than using drugs (and/ or alcohol). The motto will be "reach your potential". There won't be any sessions telling them "you are bad because you use drugs" or something like that. It will all be about meeting people, starting a relationship built on trust and simply enjoying themselves without drugs (or alcohol). E.g. they want to go for a hike and go to do some kayaking. It was suggested that I join them on behalf of CWSA Hermanus. I have no idea what they expect me to do but the entire program is already set. So I suppose I will give them a hand and be a "trustworthy" person for those kids. After this weekend there will be support groups or something like that. The kids then can work on their problems with a base of relationships they value, relationships they built on that weekend (with either us or other kids).

The third thing I heard that I should do is a research about Zwelihle. They want to go from door to door and ask the people about their needs, wants and don't-have's (etc.). There will be a questionnaire so that it will be more easy for us (or me) to evaluate the research. But I have no information about that yet (how many people need to be questioned, in which area of Zwelihle, which is home of 18.000 people, for how long, ...). But this sounds quite interesting to me. Otherwise, sometimes I sit in the office and have nothing to do at all. Then I read in the CHILDRENS RIGHT'S RESOURCE HANDBOOK or about the history of CWSA - at least I need some basic knowledge about the clients that are waiting a footstep away from the office...

Picture: The Bakkie that I drive every day at work.

1 Kommentar:

Karin hat gesagt…

hey leo,
das ist mein zweiter versuch einen kommentar zu hinterlssen... hoffe es klappt jetzt...
nun ja, ich finde es total gut mal wieder was in englisch zu lesen, obwohl sich einige leute schon beschwert haben.. aber die sollen nur reden...
hoffe es geht euch gut und ihr geniest die zeit vor dem winter... hier kam er heute wieder zurück...
werde dir ein paar bilder schicken wenn ich dich wieder im skype treffe...
liebe grüße
karin